Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Hammond teenager convicted on two counts of manslaughter

Hammond teenager convicted on two counts of manslaughter
Posted: Mar 15, 2019
Categories: Front Page, Crime
Comments: 0
From District Attorney Scott Perrilloux

Amite- District Attorney Scott M. Perrilloux reports that 18-year-old Jayvon Schaffer, of Hammond, LA, pleaded no contest to two counts of manslaughter in the 2016 shooting deaths of Randy Bickham and Charleston Mitchell.

In the early morning hours of June 2, 2016, TPSO deputies were dispatched to North Oak Street and Haynes Road in Hammond, LA, due to gunshots heard in the area. Upon arrival, deputies observed a vehicle with its lights on behind the church. When deputies approached the vehicle, they observed a male lying on the ground covered in blood and another male inside of the vehicle also covered in blood. Both men were pronounced dead at the scene.

Later that day, detectives conducted a series of interviews in relations to the double homicide investigation. Through police interviews and investigation, on June 6, 2016, detectives located and met with Jayvon Schaffer. During Schaffer’s interview with detectives, he stated that Marquise Lightfoot knocked on his brother’s door and asked him to come with him to rob the “weedman.” Schaffer advised that he and Lightfoot walked from Magee Lane to North Oak Street when a gray SUV stopped for them. Schaffer stated that he got into the backseat behind the driver and recognized him to be Charleston Mitchell while Lightfoot got behind the passenger who was identified as Randy Bickham. Lightfoot told Mitchell that he wanted to purchase marijuana but needed to go get money. At some point, Lightfoot produced a handgun from under his clothing and shot Mitchell in the head and then shot Bickham while Schaffer went through the victim’s pockets searching for something to steal. Immediately after the shooting, the two ran fled the crime scene. Schaffer stated that he proceeded back to the residence and went to bed.

Jayvon Schaffer was sentenced to 30 years with the department of corrections for each count. Time is to run concurrently.

Assistant District Attorney Angel Monistere represented the state; Judge Robert H. Morrison handed down the sentence.