Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Fire started by space heater heavily-damages Slidell house

Fire started by space heater heavily-damages Slidell house
Posted: Jan 3, 2018
Categories: Front Page, Headlines
Comments: 0
From St. Tammany Fire District #1

Residents Escape Early Morning Fire Sparked by Space Heater

Slidell, LA. – St. Tammany Fire District #1 responded to the report of a residential structure fire at 60293 Rue Bryan Rd, in Slidell, early this morning.

Firefighters arrived on the scene in just over 6 minutes, to find heavy smoke and flames showing from the approximate 2,500 square foot two story home. Firefighters attacked the fire and were able to bring the situation under control in just under two hours.

The husband was upstairs asleep, while his wife was asleep downstairs with their daughter, who woke up to use the restroom when she heard a loud crash. She woke her mother up for fear that her father had fallen down the stairs. When her mother went to check on her husband she discovered the fire and woke him up. They attempted to extinguish the fire with pans of water, but were unsuccessful. Their daughter called 911 and reported the fire to the fire department.

The fire appears to have started in an upstairs bedroom. Based on the homeowners’ statements, it appears that the fire started as a result of using electric space heaters to heat the residence. The cause of the fire is suspected to be the use of the heaters in close proximity to the excessive amount of personal belongings in the residence.

There were smoke detectors in the residence, but they were not functioning properly. Due to the extent of damage caused by the fire, the home is considered to be a total loss. The Red Cross was called to provide aid to the victims. No injuries were reported.

1st Alarm: 05:08:44
On Scene: 05:15:20
Under Control: 07:10:21
Units: 15
Firefighters: 29
Injuries: None
Cause: Accidental
Print
Tags: