Saturday, March 17, 2018

Sheriff releases more details on Walker domestic murder suspect

Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2018 | Views: 3723

Sheriff releases more details on Walker domestic murder suspect
From the Livingston Parish Sheriff's Office:

Sheriff Ard releases more details tied to last night’s shooting incident in Livingston Parish:

Shooting Suspect:
Ricardo Diaz, 43 (Deceased)
Details of Diaz’s last arrest:
Arrested: 3/4/18
*Charge: Violation of Protective Orders
Bonded: 3/5/18
Bond: $5000.00

Sheriff Jason Ard confirms that the victim of last night’s domestic shooting incident in Livingston Parish has since died from her injuries.

Lydia Johnston, 31
27,317 Gaylord Rd., Walker
SUSPECT: (Deceased)
Ricardo Diaz, 43
27,317 Gaylord Rd., Walker

Sheriff Ard says, ‘This was obviously a domestic incident. During our investigation, we learned that Johnston and Diaz were once a couple – not married – but they do have 4 children together. We also know that they were estranged and that Diaz was no longer living at the address to which we were dispatched.’

Just before 9:00p.m. on Monday, deputies with the Livingston Parish Sheriff’s Office were called to the 27,000 block of Gaylord Rd. in Walker in reference to a shooting incident. Near the scene, the suspect was seen fleeing the area.

Deputies were joined by multiple agencies in pursuit. At the same time, deputies entered the residence and located Johnston with multiple gunshot wounds. She was transported to a local hospital. She later died from her injuries.

According to our law enforcement partners, we know Diaz would eventually make his way to the Mississippi River Bridge and cross into West Baton Rouge Parish. He would stop that car and jump to his death.

Sheriff says, ‘We had been called to this address before for domestic-type issues. In this particular case, Johnston had a current protective order against Diaz. We also know that Diaz had recently – earlier this month – bonded out of jail for violating that protective order. And, I hate to say this but there were children present when this shooting incident took place. We can confirm that 7 children were present (ages 4 – 11) and 1 adult male when this act of violence was carried out. None of them were injured. My heart breaks for these children. This is something they will have to live with for the rest of their lives. All this because of a troubled relationship. It is our understanding that Johnston ended the relationship with Diaz. She had moved on. He apparently didn’t want to accept that reality.’

As for the children, they are in the custody of family. We ask that their privacy be respected as they continue to deal with the trauma of what occurred overnight.

Our investigation into this case continues. We’ll continue to look and examine all the facts.